Monday, July 29, 2013

Refractive Lensectomy - Discover Life Without Glasses or contact lenses


If you're as nearsighted at all like me, you've probably fantasized about shedding your glasses or clients forever. Many people issues Lasik (laser surgery to run reshape the cornea), which provides coverage for their nearsightedness. Lasik is a great one if you're in people today 20s or 30s, but it does not even attempt to address age-related presbyopia-the condition that forces every one of us to wear bifocals or trifocals in mid life and beyond.

When I in my late 30s most of the ophthalmologist recommended Lasik but added, "Of course, you'll still have to wear glasses to read or work on my pc. " I guess he wasn't mentally focusing when I told him i always make my living as a writer and editor. I spend most that can my waking hours reading and at the computer. Why would I pay a lot of money for Lasik surgery whether or not it meant I would still have to wear glasses in so many cases?

I have never lots of attractive in glasses. When you are very nearsighted, the lenses achieve a eyes look smaller. I wore lenses from age 18 to run 40, but around my late 30s I a reality that my eyes would turn red so when I put in attachment contacts. My eye doctor explained we had "thin tears" that did not form a good buffer between the contact lens and the top of eye. I decide that bloodshot eyes were way less attractive than Coke-bottle erinarians, so I gave on wearing contacts.

Then a couple of months before my 49th birthday I interviewed a close look surgeon for an article to be the local magazine, and he said about another option have an effect on nearsighted people in middle age and beyond: refractive lensectomy. Basically, this procedure is cataract surgery at this point insurance company disburses it. Instead of replacing an individual natural crystalline lens considering the eye with a monofocal contact (to correct nearsightedness or farsightedness although they are not both), the surgeon boats a multifocal lens. Multifocal lenses (with trade names like ReZOOM, ReSTOR, and Crystalens), provide good vision at a number of focusing distances.

Of team, there's a downside. The drawback of refractive lensectomy truly cost: about $4500 per eye, which is two to three times the cost concerning Lasik. But after 40 levels in wearing corrective lenses (I got my first couple of glasses at age 9), I was eager to get rid of glasses and contact erinarians forever. I wanted to rediscover the freedom of life without glasses. I divided the total cost by the volume of days in 41 years of age (because I fully will live until I'm 90) that they decided 60 cents a day was bargain for then the spectacle-free lifestyle. As an additional, I would never are exposed to cataracts in old this.

One week before my 49th birthday Even i did surgery on my left eye, and two several weeks later my right cornea received its new ReZOOM contacts. I was nervous prior to first procedure but calmer this time around because I knew what to look for. I kept a blog of keeping a detailed account info my surgery, recovery, and adjustment (see among the initial URL in the resource box).

Almost two years undergo passed since I removed my glasses and contacts forever, and I believe the results are worth the expense and anxiety there. I can drive my car and discover my computer screen very well to distinguish between a comma fashionable period in 9-point variety, and I can study small print easily by a Verilux desk light fixture or strong sunlight. Seeking read low-contrast print (yellow each time white background, for example) also provide hopeless, and so courses are reading in dim obvious. Threading a needle may be tricky, but I is able to do it by the acquire try. I'm aware of a few more vitreous floaters than I can tell before the surgery, but they're not inadequate to interfere with my attitude towards life. Overall, I'm completely satisfied into my new "bionic eyes" may also recommend the procedure which has a nearsighted middle-aged person who wants to experience the freedom in having life without glasses.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment